MARY C. WOMBLE, BSW, CMC
Geriatric Care Manager
If If you ask Mary what client’s story best represents
her sense of satisfaction with her job as a Care Manager,
she will probably tell you about a visually impaired client
who lived in a nursing home. The elderly woman lay in bed
all day staring up at the ceiling. The nurses at the facility
insisted that the client preferred to stay in bed. After Mary
spoke with the client however, she understood that the only
wheelchair available to the client was uncomfortable and
unmanageable and that she did, indeed, want to be more
Mary worked with the physical therapy department to get a specialized wheelchair based on her client’s kyphosis diagnosis. This enabled the client to be out of bed for several hours at a time and even propel herself down the hallway despite being legally blind. The client made an amazing transformation. She began catching up with old friends who lived close by and going on outings with our company Homemaker Companion team members. One of the nursing home staff even commented on how amazing she looked!
This client, like so many clients that Mary and her colleagues serve, needed an advocate. As Mary says, “sometimes, people cannot be heard to get the attention they need and deserve.” “Everyone deserves to have personal dignity and privacy, regardless of their physical or mental state and sometimes that requires an active advocate.”
Mary has been a Care Manager with the company since 2005. Prior, she worked 17 years for CARES, Inc. in Pasco County as a case manager under several grant funded programs, an adult day care manager, field office manager and a home care consultant for callers who were in need of community resources. She also has had the experience in making medical social service visits to Medicare patients in their homes. Mary is detail oriented, a skill which helps her in finding concerns such as missed allergies or a medication ordered for the wrong eye, etc. Mary notes: “the one on one attention that a Care Manager has the time to give, really makes the difference.”
Mary’s credentials and awards include:
- Bachelor Degree in Social Work (BSW) with specialization in the field of aging from Oral Roberts University in Oklahoma, graduating Magna Cum Laude, May 1983
- Certified Care Manager (CMC), since 2007
- CARES, Inc. Employee of the Year Award, 1988
- Outstanding Young Women of America Award, 1991
- Nominee for the Community Service Council’s Human Service Worker of the Year Award, 1996
- Member of National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Management (NAPGCM)
- Member of Florida Geriatric Care Manager’s Association (FGCMA)
- Successfully completed the training program for Special Care of Nursing Home Residents with Alzheimer’s disease or Related Disorders in 2008, through the Florida Health Care Association (FHCA)
- In 2013 received training from the Alzheimer’s Family Organization to be a support group leader
- Member of the Pasco Aging Network
Mary enjoys working as a Care Manager because she makes apositive difference in the lives of frail elders and their families.
Mary has a passion for the outdoors and she and her husband and son have enjoyed camping; however, now when they head for the hills, she says they are going “cabining.” That makes for a much more relaxing time! She and her husband enjoy gardening and bird watching. They also are elders at Highest Praise Family Church in Tarpon Springs.
Email Mary Womble at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 727.842.3344.